IMG_1176.jpeg

Did you know that approximately 1 in 4 buildings have had water damage, and that roughly 25% of Americans are genetically susceptible to be more sensitive to mold exposure than others?  Mold growth is more prevalent than you may think, and mold does not always grow visibly on walls, or produce a musty smell; it can hide behind walls, or counters, or floors, and invisibly affect your health. 

Personally, I fall into that percentage of the population who is very mold sensitive, and I have suffered through at least three mold exposures in my life including one early on when I was 6 years old (the year I developed asthma and allergies).  I know what it’s like to feel as if there is something terribly wrong with the body and mind, yet have no idea of the source. I wish my childhood doctors had asked about mold exposure, as that conversation may have saved me over a decade relying on pharmaceuticals to breathe.

Mold illness can devastate certain people.  The truth is that water damage or intrusion in the home, car, or workplace can drive mold growth, which then leads to molds producing and releasing damaging toxins called mycotoxins.  These mycotoxins are nasty, and can penetrate your skin, get into your sinuses and gut, and cause all sorts of problems in the body. 

Some people suffer with brain fog, balance issues, debilitating fatigue, vision problems, chronic sinus infections, headaches, cough, insomnia, nervous system disorders, anxiety or depression, and the list goes on and on.  Others get diagnosed with Lyme disease, or MS, or depression, when mold is driving their symptoms and keeping them sick.  The number one treatment for mold exposure is to get out of that environment ASAP. Then the damage caused by the mold and mycotoxins must be addressed.